Saturday, January 15, 2011

Speedy Recovery


This card is for my friend Katie whom I've mentioned is battling stage 4 gastric cancer. No, it isn't the typical "get well" or "thinking of you" card. It doesn't have some deep spiritual words of wisdom. I just thought Katie might like a fun card. I haven't made a real card in so long that I looked for inspiration in challenges and came up with this.

Why a motorcycle for Katie? Well, her husband has a touring bike and the two of them have gone on trips on his bike. Even though MY husband is the SPEED bike (or it could read speeding, ahem) kind of guy, wives of men with bikes just "get" the whole bike issue. Katie never asked, "Aren't you afraid for him to ride a motorcycle?" I'd go riding with my hubby like Katie does with hers if we didn't both weigh about twice as much as Katie & Kevin! LOL!

This digi stamp is actually one that my friend Laurie Wilson, artist, designer and owner of Doodle Pantry Stamps, designed to look like my husband's Kawasaki ZRX1100. I have yet to use it for a card for him, but I thought it would be oh so fun to color it GIRLY for Katie! When I saw the requirements for Color Throwdown and Teapot Tuesday, it was GAME ON! Or, ladies, start your engines!

Yes, I also know this is going to be a LONG healing process for Katie, but we WANT her to have a speedy recovery, so that's what I put! I hope she enjoys a bit of creative humor in this card.

Details:
Stamp: Digi Stamp from Doodle Pantry: Racing Motorcycle
Ink: Distress Inks Cotton Candy & Weathered Wood
Paper: White, Bliss Blue, Co'ordinations brown with pink underside & salmon colored with light pink underside
Other stuff: computer generated words, copics, flowers from Michael's (I just got those with Christmas money & had no idea I'd be using those colors on a card so soon!), Sizzix texture plate, Nestabilities Labels 8 and the other one whose number I don't know! LOL!

Challenges:
Color Throwdown: Use these 3 colors AND designate the card for Katie: Melon Mambo, Early Espresso, Soft Sky (I used what I had that were similar)

Teapot Tuesday: (I'm always late for the party)---flowers and gold. It's hard to tell, but where I thought silver would be in real life, I colored gold. It didn't look gold with the copic marker, so I went over it with a gold gel pen. Still not doing it. I went over THAT with stickles. In real life you can see the gold, so just trust me on this one. ; )

CES Challenge: No designer papers. Check! Used co'ordinations brown with a pinkish underside. Sadly, I can't find sandpaper in my house so I used a Sizzix folder & tried to scrape off enough for the pink to show through!

Doodle Pantry: Use a DP image. This one is under "Machines" in her store.

Stamp Something: Anything Goes. 'Nuff said.

Everybody Art Challenge: Sketch

Thanks for rolling by!

8 comments:

Emma said...

A gorgeous card, love the sentiment & colours.
Thanks for joining us at CES Challenges & good luck.
Hugs Emma x

Dawn Frost said...

Great colouring on the motorcycle, LOVE your added glitter and the sanded background! Thanks for joining us at DPDC5.

L.Wilson said...

very cool girly racer! I love the gold stickles on the metal parts. Thanks for playing with us at Doodle pantry Digital Challenge 5!

Broni said...

Great combination of image and sentiment! Thanks so much for joining us for this special Color Throwdown!

Georgia Ehrmann said...

Very cool motorcycle with all the glitter! A girl would love it! Thanks for playing at DPDC5.
Georgia
Guest DT for January

Mephisto said...

Hi,
thats a fab card.
Thanks for joining in by EAC this week.

Domi

debby4000 said...

Oh this is fabulous.
luv
Debby

Julie said...

Great fun card, and perfectly thought out for the recipient! Thanks for joining us at CES Challenges this week. Juliexx