Saturday, January 8, 2011

I forgot my values!

Bet you thought this was going to be a deep spiritual or philosophical post, didn't you? Nah, it's about quilts. The values I forgot were COLOR values. I'm new to quilt making. Okay, can I say new if I haven't even started? Well, we DID make the rag quilt for my great niece, so I guess I AM a quilter. ha ha. Being new means I have some lessons to learn. I've been picking up fabrics here & there in 1 yd. increments to use for different quilts. I've found good coordinating colors. I have some amazing fabrics I ordered, too. I showed some of those in my last post. What I forgot to look for was color VALUES.

Here's what I mean. I can have 2 prints with orange and pink, but if they are the same lightness/darkness, they will simply blend together. These 2 fabrics, for example, coordinate, but they don't stand out if put together. This one, on the other hand, is made like a quilt with varying shades and varying values of those shades. Here's a quilt I found online that shows good color value variation:
It has lights, mediums & darks:
So, today, after I work on a bag I have GOT to finish, I'm going to play with all my fabric again & mitch----um, that's dork for mix & match! LOL! all my pieces so I can have some VALUES!

If you are a scrapbooker or card maker, I think these same principles can apply to papercrafting.

Happy colorful day!




5 comments:

Diane Noble said...

Thank you so much for participating in our first blog hop for Puttin' on the Glitz! We appreciated your comments so much! Winners will be announced on my blog Monday! Wishing you the best! Diane Noble

Anonymous said...

Well it's logical.
Thanks for the lesson... and yes, I did think "uh oh, what's she done..."

Unknown said...

I have never been good at color values, so I wish you well with them, I am sure you will do much better at it than I ever could, you are too crafty!

Traci M said...

I think that is a brilliant idea...and can't wait to see what you make, Lori!!

Lori Ingebritson said...

Lori, I think we just became cyber friends because of one comment you left on my blog! We are both a Lori, enjoy chocolate and we both have celiac disease! Thanks for finding my on the glitz gals blog hop. I'll be following you and maybe we can share a little creativity and some gluten free recipes!