Thursday, January 14, 2010

January Birthdays & Challenges

I'm already behind on birthday cards for this year, but considering I never got Christmas cards made, actually FINISHING these cards means I'm ahead of last year! LOL!

Both of these cards are for the C4C19---Crazy 4 Challenges #19 found HERE. The challenge was to make a birthday card. I made 2 birthday cards that aren't traditional in their look but have a traditional flair. These both use the Flower of the Month from Clear Dollar Stamps for January, Carnation. If you look on the background dp I stamped the word "Carnation" (the birth flower for January) and on one I one I stamped the word January on the background. On the other the word January is an extra detail added on the bottom.

I'm not one for believing legends, especially the "religious" ones about "luck" and such. However, as I was trying to find what COLOR carnation is the birth flower for January (I never found that) I ran across a legend about pink carnations that was sweet, though holds no historical fact. Here is the rendition from this website

There is an interesting legend associated with pink carnations. According to Christian legend, carnations first appeared on Earth as Jesus carried the Cross. The Virgin Mary shed tears at Jesus' plight, and pink carnations sprang up from where her tears fell. Thus the pink carnation became the symbol of a mother's undying love, and in 1907 was chosen by Ann Jarvis as the emblem of Mother's Day, now observed in the United States and Canada on the second Sunday in May.
Since the women who will be getting these cards are moms, I thought it would be nice to use pink as I know these moms have undying love for their children.

The first card is also for the Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenge # 21. The verse for this week is:
Hosea 6:1 "Come, let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds."

I tore the picture apart, then put it back together. In true dork form, I had trouble figuring out this part. LOL! Then, I decided to copy, um, I mean CASE, my dork sister Peggysue and try the broken glass technique. I did not have any of the ultra thick embossing powder, so I kept layering versamark & clear regular embossing powder and heating them. Did you know hot melted embossing powder hurts your fingers? Just sayin'.

This card ALSO is for the CPS challenge 149. I turned the layout sideways to work with this image.

Details:
Stamps: Clear Dollar Stamps Flower of the Month, January (Carnation)
Ink: memento black & brown, versamark
Paper: Forest Foliage (I think) and a pink from Hobby Lobby, K& Co. "Classic" dp pad
Etc.: nesties, copics, dew drops (from my friend Kathy), ep


Next I used the same image, but used the layout for MMSC 36. I love this Spellbinders Pendant!

The details are the same except no dew drops or versamark with clear ep.

Phew, 2 cards finished and challenges done ON TIME! Amazing!

Thanks for dropping by!

12 comments:

Phyllis said...

Lori, Love your card for the MMSC. Great colors, lovely papers and a very pretty image. That Spellbinders die is just one of my favorites too!! The MMDesign Team thanks you for playing in our challenge this week.

Phyllis MMDesign Team

@JoyceCasaldi said...

Beautiful card Lori, I was confused as I didnt' see a new post at the top. Sorry I didn't stop by sooner.

Anonymous said...

Wow! such a pretty card. Love your blog as it makes me giggle. Thanks for playing along with us at SSCC.

Unknown said...

Lori,

Awesome cards and you are one up on me with trying the crackled glass (?) technique. I love both these cards and have to tell you that you really had me going with the psf/dork swap... thought I was gonna get to see cupcakes!

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Lori - you have been a busy stamper. Love that image and it looks great on both cards! I love the Nestie you used on the MMSC - just gorgeous! Your colours are perfect too. Thanks for playing along with the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge this week Lori, don't forget to check back on Friday for the Sneak Peek of next weeks challenge - we would love to see you play again next week - you know we love your cards!! {{{hugs}}}
Linda MMSC Design Team

Carol Hurlock said...

Lori you birthday cards are wonderful. I too love the Fleur de Lis pendant from Spellbinders...it sure is a go-to-one for sure. I love how you tried the cracked glass technique...that is so cool. Thanks for joining us this week in our Sketch Challenge at Midnight Madness. It's great to see your work and visit your blog.

Bear Hugs,
Carol :o}
Midnight Madness Design Team

Priscilla said...

Hi Lori, I had fun reading your post today.. "hot" anything I am sure would hurt our finger tips..LOL I got a good chuckle from that as it seems like a weekly thing for me. It is amazing I still have feelings on my finger tips..lol Anway, both of your cards are so pretty and I love the colors you have picked. As always, thank you so much for playing the Midnight Madness sketch challenge this week and be sure to swing back by for a sneak peek at next weeks sketch.
Priscilla
MMSC Hostess

Lea L. said...

Very pretty cards!! Neat technique too! Thanks for joining us at CPS this week!

♥Lea

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

These are such beautiful cards!! I just love your image and your colors!!! Love the cracked glass on your first creation and the the coloring on both!! GReat designs!! Awesome take on the MMSC!
Thanks for playing along!
Chris

Jeni C Slack (^0^) said...

Lori, what a wonderful card, very beautiful center you have made for it. And your choice of colors and papers make this card so pretty! Thanks so much for joining us this week, xox ~Jeni & MMSC DT

Grace said...

A great take on both challenges! Love the cracked glass technique and your image is so pretty! Love the die cut for your main panel! Beautiful work! Thanks for playing along on the MMSC this week!

Pamela said...

Beautiful cards!