Friday, June 10, 2011

What's going on here?

The past few weeks were consumed with getting ready for my Mother In Law's wedding.Yes, my MIL, age 75 married a wonderful 82 year old man! We lost my FIL in February of 2008 & this man lost his wife the following year. The couples knew each other through church and had played dominoes together. I'll have to share the long version later. I don't even have the pictures all uploaded to my computer, but I thought I'd share one picutre that is a crafty one.
Do you wonder what the guys are laughing at? Yeah, me, too.

Do you like how we all coordinated? That was only half planned. We knew MIL was wearing yellow. Natalie picked out her fabric first, before we even knew MIL was wearing yellow. I also knew what fabric I wanted. I love yellow & blue together. I guess it's the Swede in me. Bethany's was the next dress to purchase and low and behold we found a YELLOW dress that almost fit her! Finally, we decided Daddy needed a matching top. He'd never wear a yellow shirt (or pink for that matter, but that's a different issue), so when we saw this we knew it was perfect to match my dress. What we DIDN'T know was that MIL's husband would be wearing blue! How perfect is it that we tied it all together while they tied the knot? LOL!

Natalie's dress is made from a downloadable pattern by Sis Boom. I will post links to the pattern later. Mine is by Sew Serendipity. Of course, Bethany's dress wasn't usable "as is" as usual. I had to take it up a little, then I had to add straps. We bought ribbon, but it really wasn't the right shade. She looked at my fabric & I had almost the identical shade of yellow. What are the odds? I was happy b/c I wanted to make WIDE straps to cover more. She's so tiny that there isn't that much to cover, but still.

If you click on the picture it will enlarge it. Ignore the fact that nearly 13 years postpartum I look pregnant (um, yeah, it's really just fat, I promise). Check out Bethany's headband. I'll have to take a close up of it & upload that another time. We took a white plume feather and dyed it yellow. The liquid made the feathery parts all clump together. I used my heating tool to dry it out, then we had to use a comb and even an old toothbrush to try to unclump them. She attached it to a headband and added some ribbon and gems. THEN on the morning of the wedding it was falling apart! ACK! Superglue to the rescue! We're just glad it didn't end up stuck to her head---LOL! I actually made a headband, too, but we decided it was too clunky looking for me to wear. I'll wear it for some pictures some time, but I didn't want to be distracting with it on. You know, the canoe on the forehead syndrome or Skeeball game on top of your head at your cousin's wedding with people from all over the world watching. Just sayin'.

I have really narrow feet. Not as narrow as they used to be, but narrow. I found a pair of shoes at Payless the night before the wedding. I was amazed. I thought I'd have to go for white shoes, but found yellow! They are really pretty. The pair I thought I would get were outvoted by my daughters who said they looked like grandma shoes. Here is the funny part: when my folks got to the wedding, the first thing Natalie noticed were my mom's shoes. They were the SAME pair I almost got but in ivory! LOL! Phew, good thing I have young ladies to guide me. ha, ha.

When I get the rest of the pictures uploaded I'll share more & put links to the dress websites.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You all look great!