Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Midnight Madness BBQ: My recipe

Have you discovered the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge? I love it! I'd love it more if I could stamp every week, but I still love reading what's going on with Priscilla & her dt. Last week she through a dance party that took us from Ginger Rogers up to modern day. I'm pretty sure the Cupid Shuffle is easier than the Charleston! LOL!

This is a family favorite that I love to take to any potluck meals. BTW, do you call them potlucks? On our Dork Sister thread we've discussed that in some places they are called pitch-ins or carry-ins. I'd never heard those terms. I grew up calling them covered dish dinners. Growing up Methodist meant whenever there was a 5th Sunday, we had a covered dish dinner. When I grew up I learned that most people in these parts call them pot-luck meals.

In either case, you've all won a prize on MY blog because you get my mom's Chocolate Sheet Cake. Okay, so everyone's mom probably has a version of this, but MY MOM'S is the best! LOL! I've even made it gluten free and it's still pretty doggone tasty! Enjoy! And maybe I'll have some cards before the week is over.

Mammaw's Chocolate Sheet Cake
Sift: 2 c. sugar, 2 c. flour, 1 t. baking soda and 2 t. cinnamon in a large bowl

Put 1/4# margarine (1 stick), 1/2 c. shortening, 4 T cocoa and 1 c. water into a pan. Melt margarine and cocoa. Bring to a rapid boil over low to medium heat (not high, it will burn), stirring frequently. This will take a while. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix.

Add: 1/2 c. buttermilk (OR mix 1 T. lemon juice plus milk to make 1/2 c., let this sit for awhile or put in microwave for 20 seconds to sour), 2 beaten eggs and 1 t. vanilla

Grease a cookie sheet (jelly roll pan, one with edges) 11"x16". Pour in batter. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile make frosting:
Fudge Icing:
Over low heat bring to a boil:
1/4# margarine (1 stick)
4 T cocoa
6 T. milk (1/3 c.)

Add: 1 box (1#; 3 3/4 cups) powdered sugar, 1 t. vanilla and 1/2 c. nuts (optional). For a variety at Christmas you can omit nuts & sprinkle icing with crushed candy canes)

Mix well. Pour on cake while still warm. Most cakes say to wait til cake cools to ice, but this one is different.

No comments: